Sunday, January 24, 2010

1986

On Saturday, while shopping at Value Village with J (taking her Value Village virginity, by the way), I realized that I was conceived in 1986. I had never thought about this before.

This information has rocked my foundation. We never really think about the year we were conceived in. We always think in terms of what year we were actually born in, for obvious reasons. However, I think it is important to acknowledge the year you were conceived as well. For me, 1986 has been ignored for far too long and I am now feeling an extremely strong connection to it.

Since I've ignored 1986 my whole life, I am now going to be spending a significant amount of time learning about the happenings of that year to make up for lost time.

Here are some happenings of 1986 that I should have known for a long time:
  • Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, California
  • "Chicken Song" by Spitting Image hit #1 on the U.K. pop chart 
  • In London, Prince Andrew, Duke of York marries Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey
  • Cher called David Letterman an asshole on Late Night on NBC 
  • It is reported that Boy George is being treated for heroin addiction 
  • "Designing Women" debuts on CBS 
 The list could go on and on, but I simply don't think that I need to continue to prove how magnificent 1986 was.

I'm officially calling for a "Conception Day" on top of having your normal birthday. It will only give us more reasons to party and find potential mates.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!!!

    But it's impossible to know the exact date of one's conception. Do you propose celebrating the same day of the month as your birthday but nine months earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point about the exact date. I figure, to make things simple, just count back 9 months to the day that you were *supposed* to be born and voila, you have your Conception Day...despite it not being completely accurate!

    ReplyDelete