Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Don't Get Drunk! Ever!

So, I just had a semi-awkward conversation with my wonderful Dad, who is a totally sober minister. He took me grocery shopping, which I so appreciate, since I don't have my own personal traveling machine (not time travel, geez). I knew right away that he was going to eventually go in my fridge and see my beer. Shit. (I'm hoping he didn't see the hard stuff on the bottom shelf!) This is kind of how the conversation went:

D: You have fancy German beer in your fridge.
S: *feeling freaked out* Um, it's actually Belgian.
D: Ohhh, is that right?
S: Um...yeah.
D: So, do your friends drink the beer? Or do you drink the beer?
S: Well, um...I'm not really a huge beer drinker...
D: No, I didn't think you were. (Total confidence in daughter right now)
S: ...but I think I kind of need to ease myself into beer.
D: *nervous laugh* Ohhh no you don't! That stuff is evil (he doesn't actually mean EVIL as in SATAN, he just means EVIL as in TASTE - not to mention family problems with alcohol)
S: Well...it's really not that evil. I don't know. I'm sorry, but I'm just not a goody two-shoes like you. (My Dad drank once when he was 5 - it was beer - and he never drank again)
D: I know, I know...I've know you for a long time...
S: Yeah, and I'm almost 23 years old, so you might as well just get used to it. It's my life.
D: I know, I know...and I know you. I know it's your life and you can make your own choices.

*some different conversation comes in here about the lack of Dutch trademarks in food and beverage*

My Dad gets up to leave and he's at the door and I say...

S: Don't worry, I won't get drunk alone!
D: Noooooooo, DON'T GET DRUNK! EVER!!!!!! (He wasn't yelling or anything, but he was serious - yet kind of nervous laughing at the same time)
S: *nervous laughter*
D: You know, there are just so many problems with alcohol in our family...
S: I know...don't worry...*nervous laughter*
D: OK, I know...alright...well, give me a hug!

We proceed to hug and he leaves.

WOW. I can't believe I survived that. Seriously. I'm a real woman now.

1 comment:

  1. you're dad is so great,
    my parents are the exact opposite

    ReplyDelete