Monday, March 1, 2010

Giver, Giver, Go Blind River!

I must say, I am rarely kind to one of my hometowns, Blind River, Ontario. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere (and I had moved there from the much larger city of Hamilton, Ontario), and well, there isn't much to do. Lots of driving around was done and a lot of Tim Horton's was had. I won't even go into the average amount of babies that are made each year.

However, I still do have a little soft spot for this town and Northern Ontario in general. And if there's something to be excited about for Blind River, I'm generally excited. I remember when Peter (a.k.a. Mr. Evans, our high school music teacher) told our class that Neil Young had a song that Blind River was mentioned in. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. But you know what's even sweeter? Neil Young singing "Long May You Run" at the Closing Ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics and TOTALLY GIVING BLIND RIVER A SHOUT OUT.

Um, not going to lie. That was the MOST EPIC THING EVER. OK, maybe not the MOST EPIC, but it was definitely EPIC and very exciting. This is my loser-ish Blind River pride that comes out every once in awhile. And I'm sure that all of Blind River was having a party when they realized their town was mentioned in the Ceremonies. This EPIC event may even pop up on the horrible, crazy, digitized, flashy sign that Blind River has along the highway. I wouldn't blame the town for doing that. I think Blind River deserves to have something to hold on to. Maybe Blind River should make a local holiday out of it! Anyway...

Truly, madly, and deeply EPIC. Surely something that Blind River will never forget.

P.S. Just to prove that this is not made up...

Well, it was back in Blind River in 1962
When I last saw you alive
But we missed that shift on the long decline
Long may you run.

2 comments:

  1. I would never pretend that there was a lot to do in Blind River, either. But I have to admit:

    the B.R. mention was my #1 favourite part of the entire Closing Ceremonies. It was SO EXCITING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! It was definitely uber exciting!

    ReplyDelete